Setting it up
- First, make sure you're running Windows 2000 or XP. Sorry, it doesn't work in Vista or 7.
the installer (regular 32-bit) (XP x64).
the downloaded file to start the install wizard. It has
boring template text, so just keep clicking Next.
- Now the Folder Size column is available to Explorer, but Explorer
isn't displaying it yet. Open an Explorer window in Details view.
- Right click on the column headers to see a list of columns you
can add. Choose Folder Size.
- Now we can replace the existing Size column with the new Folder
Size column. Right click on the column headers and uncheck the Size
column. Drag the Folder Size column header to where Size used to be.
- Make this the default view for all folders. Go to Folder Options
from the Tools menu. In the View tab, click Apply to All Folders.
Look in the Windows Control Panels to find the Folder Size control
panel. If you're in the confusing Category View in XP, where it says Pick a category,
click on Switch to Classic View in the left-hand pane. And then view as
Icons. Isn't that better?
Use the control panel to change the way sizes are displayed. Also stop
the service to stop any background activity.
It never crashes or slows down my computer, but yours is different from mine, and maybe it doesn't work so well for you. If you want to uninstall it, use the Add or Remove Programs control panel. You'll have to manually fix the columns in Explorer too.